Posting workers to Sweden

Employees who come to Sweden to work are covered by the laws and agreements that apply to the Swedish labour market.  These regulations are defined by law, collective agreements and local arrangements in accordance with  what is known as the “Swedish model”.  There is an exception, which is where an employee is a posted worker.  In such cases the law on posted workers applies, which means the employee only has certain rights. 

Some important areas covered by posted workers’ rights are: working environment, minimum wages and holiday pay, regulations on working hours, workplace discrimination and parental leave.  Regarding taxes and social benefits, there are different regulations for foreign workers depending on their situation.

What is posting?

A posted worker is a person who is sent to another country by their employer to work there for a limited time.  If the person is sent to Sweden he or she is covered by certain provisions of Swedish law and collective agreements during the period of his or her work in Sweden.

Who is covered by the regulations for posted workers?

The law on the posting of workers is based on the EU Posting of Workers Directive, but the law applies to everyone who is posted – even those who come from countries outside the EU. However, the rules on, for example, residence and work permits vary, depending on which country you are from.

Information about postings must be registered

From 1 July 2013, foreign employers have to report postings and specify a contact person to be registered in Sweden. The register is kept by the Swedish Work Environment Authority. Report posting here

When is the information to be reported?

The report must be made when a posted employee begins working in Sweden, at the latest. If the posting is for no more than five days, no report is necessary. If the posting becomes extended, a report must be made on the sixth day at the latest.

If something is not right

If you discover risks in your workplace or feel that working conditions are dangerous and not consistent with the laws and regulations, you should, in the first instance, speak to your employer.  You can also turn to the Safety Officer or directly to us at the Swedish Work Environment Authority. Read more under Contact Us.